Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Garage Datacenter Build ...

Lets step back to the post on the birth of the garage datacenter ...

It was by chance that we were able to get this garage. I was contemplating how i could get space to house this project and didnt have space in my current garage as it was packed to the brim full of old fridges, TV's, furniture clothes and other stuff that belongs in the tip.

I was standing infront of the garage and looking at how i could move all this equipment. I called various different storage facilities but i wasn't happy with the prices they were quoting, it just didnt seem like it was worth it.

One day, simply by chance i was walking upstairs and noticed that some new people had moved in downstairs, they were a new young couple and it seemed like they didnt have to many possessions at the time. It seemed like they were recommended to move in to this flat by a next door neighbour of mine. As i was walking upstairs i heard them having a discussion about the space, about the garage and i overheard the new couple saying they didnt have much things and the garage would be empty. That night as i was laying in bed i decided to walk downstairs the next morning and ask if they would rent the garage to me.

The next morning i actually went downstairs and knocked on the door and asked them about paying some rent for their garage space. Without to much hesitation they agreed .... i was shocked cause an initially seemingly difficult problem to solve was solved, i now had a whole garage to use and it only set me back $10 a week ! I thanked them and asked them to give me a reciept everytime i paid, they agreed and its been like so ever since.....

Moving all the bits from my current garage into the new garage wasnt easy, it took three days of back breaking lifting and wheeling. There was rearranging and arguments about what should be thrown out and what shouldnt. Eventually everything migrated from the current garage to the new one i had rented. It was great i now had all the space i needed and i started to rearrange the equipment i already had. I pulled in my development desk, my stack of dell pc's my switch and other cabling that i already had .....

Now that was needed was to spruce up the garage and to start purchasing the required equipment. Purchasing equipment sounds easy right ! Give money get equipment, well this wasnt the case for the garage datacenter team, lots of interesting events along the way but i guess it adds to the experience and the overall journey that we have embarked on.

No comments: